Study Permit & Post Graduate Work Permit

Study Permit & Post Graduate Work Permit

Gaining valuable work experience in Canada after graduation can go a long way towards helping international students to permanently immigrate.

Study Permits

Study Permits are required for foreign nationals who wish to study at a Canadian educational institution.

For eligibility to study inCanada, you must have received an acceptance by an educational institution or school (including college or university) inCanada. You are responsible for your own expenses and educational fees. You must have proof that shows you are able to pay for your tuition expenses, living expenses, and transportation expenses.

Exception for Study Permit

  • Study permit is not required if the study course or program inCanadais for six months or less.  Students must complete the course or program within the period authorized stay inCanada.

Post Graduate Work Permit

This program allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience through a special work permit.  Post Grad work permit are issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of 3 years, i.e. if you complete 1 year program, you may be eligible for only for one year of post grad work permit.

Post graduation work permit cannot be longer than the length of time you studied in Canada.  The following are the key factors:

  • Must have studied as a full time student for at least 8 months
  • Post secondary institution that are eligible and have been approved by the  government
  • Should apply within 90 days of getting confirmation from your institution that you have met the requirement of completing your academic programs
  • Received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate
  • Maximum of only 3 years of post graduation work permit depending on the program of studies
  • Must have a valid study permit when you apply for your work permit

If your employer is willing to engage your services permanently and is willing to support your immigration, you may be eligible to apply for permanent immigration, contact us to know your options.