Work Permits

Work Permits

Temporary employment visas, or “work permits”, allow skilled professionals to come to Canada temporarily for work.  Immigration Canada requires that a firm job offer from a Canadian employer is present prior to applying for an Employment Authorization. In most cases, a job offer is required, and that job offer must be confirmed by Human Resources Skills Development Canada.  This is called a Labour Market Opinion and a job offer validation.

Work permits are available for a wide-range of skilled professions. There are many instances where HRDC confirmation is not required. If you are a UScitizen working in one of the qualified professions, you can apply at the port of entry under NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). In fact, if you are an entrepreneur, self-employed or investor classes, you don’t even need a job offer to work in Canada, you just have to apply for a work permit. If you are a musician, news reporter, clergy/religious priest or emergency crew, you might not need a work permit to work in Canada.

In some instances, Canadian immigration regulations allow for “Open” Work Permits, which are not employer specific.

Note that a Work Permit is not an immigration document.  Canada Temporary Work Permit is for those foreign skilled workers who plan on working inCanadafor temporary period of time.  To work and live inCanadaon a Permanent basis, foreign workers must undertake the Canadian immigration process.

However, a Temporary Work Permit may be a stepping stone to Canadian Permanent Residency.  Once in Canadaon a Temporary Work Permit, a foreign worker may qualify for Canadian immigration (Permanent Residency) under the Canada Experience Class (CEC), through a Skilled Worker Category, or through one of the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).

Visions Canada can assist with the entire work permit process for both the Canadian employers as well as Foreign Workers.  Get in touch with us to know more details!