The Live-in Caregiver/Nanny provides childcare, senior home support care or care for the disabled without supervision, in a private household in Canada in which the person resides. Participants who are selected under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) are allowed to apply for permanent residence within the country if they have worked full time for at least two years or 3,900 hours as a Live-in Caregiver in Canada.
To qualify under the Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP), you need to have:
- Positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from a Canadian employer
- have a written contract with your future employer explaining clearly your responsibilities, hours of work, salary and benefits
- live in Canada in the home of the person you’ll be providing care for
- have completed a high school education equivalent to grade 12 in Canada
- have, within the last three (3) years, completed six (6) months of full-time training in a field related to the job you want in Canada; or, you must have completed 12 months of full-time paid employment in a field related to the work you want to do in Canada, such as childcare, early childhood education, special education, or first aid
- the type of care giving work you want to do in Canada must be in the same field in which you have completed the above training or work experience
- be able to speak, read and understand English (or French)
Before hiring LCP, the employer also needs to meet certain requirements:
- apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC) to have his or her suggested job offer reviewed; and
- receive a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from HRSDC/SC
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada (HRSDC/SC) will assess employer’s job offer and the employment contract to be sure that it meets the requirements for wages and working conditions and the provincial labour and employment standards, and that there are not enough Canadians or permanent residents available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada.
For further guidance, contact us, we can assist both the Canadian employer and the prospective Live-in Caregiver/Nanny.