Post Grad / Spousal Work Permit

Post Grad / Spousal Work Permit

Post Grad Work Permit.
Spousal Work Permit.

Post Grad Work Permit

Gaining valuable work experience in Canada after graduation can go a long way towards helping international students to permanently immigrate. The following programs can help facilitate this process for eligible candidates:

Working after graduation – Post Graduation or Open work permit

This program allows international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience through a special work permit. Post Grad work permits are issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of 3 years, i.e. if you complete a 1 year program, you may be eligible for only one year of post grad work.

Post graduation work permits cannot be longer than the length of time you studied in Canada. The following are the key factors:

  • Must have studied as a full time student for at least 8 months
  • At a post secondary institution that is eligible and has been approved by the government
  • Should apply within 90 days of getting confirmation from your institution that you have met the requirement of completing your academic programs
  • Received notification that you are eligible to obtain your degree, diploma or certificate
  • Maximum of only 3 years of post graduation work, depending on the program of studies
  • Must have a valid study permit when applying for your work permit

If your employer is willing to engage your services permanently and is willing to support your immigration, you may be eligible to apply for permanent immigration, contact us to know your options.


Open work permit for Spouse

Your spouse or common-law partner (as applicable) may apply for a Work Permit if you are a full-time student at an authorized institution and have a Study Permit.

Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study or work permit.

If you are able to provide evidence to support accompanying family member financially, the spouse may qualify for the relevant open work permit.

Contact us to understand the process